Friday, June 8, 2012

Summer Vacation & Next Year's Planning

 Summer Vacation is here and all children, homeschool and public, are cheering.  This is when they put up the books and pencils, and enjoy the sun and outside world.  This is also when the homeschool moms and teachers alike take a breather and regroup.  I know this is the case for me.  .

I'm not a homeschool veteran.  In fact, I'm still in beginner stages (My oldest is just 8 years of age).  But, I'm definitely learning a lot and trying to glean anything I can from those before me. 

So, that is why I am listening to those pioneers and taking a break from "School".  It will only be 2-3 weeks for me.  Then I will start my planning for next year.  This time I want to have our routine ... well... more routine.  I, also, want to train my children to be independent learners and doers. Which is going to require me to be more diligent about having our ducks in a row and utilizing our resources in a more accessible and efficient way.

Like, having assignments and books for the day set out for them ahead a time.  Something they can see and go to on their own and take ownership of their day and work-Especially, when mommy is tied up potting training or keeping little hands out of places they don't belong.

Basically, I want to train my children to diligentlly "finish what we started" and then "move to the next thing" without pressure-  knowing "what doesn't get accomplished today can be picked-up again tomorrow".  I want to instill that work ethic of  "Work Before Play" ( This may be more for me than them.). Because "Play" or "Relaxation" is so much more enjoyable when you feel like you've accomplished something.

But for now, I am going to put my books, planners, and worries on the shelf.  I am going to put on my large brimmed hat and sun glasses.  Grab a glass of lemonade and a book.  Lay a blanket on the lawn  and  read to my children, while enjoying the sun and outside world.

I want give thanks to God for getting us through another Homeschool Year!

Happy Summer Vacation!
Brook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...