Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Homeschool Assessments

OK...so, I can't quite relax just yet.  I have to prepare our End of the Year Assessments.

Here in Ohio, homeschoolers have one of three options to show educational progress.

  1. Standardize Testing
  2. Teacher (certified/liscensed) Assessment
  3. Mutual Agreed Alternative between parent and superitendent
We do the Teacher Assessment.  I like them due to there is less pressure to perform for my children and it shows their progression in learning.  It also gives the evaluator an opportunity to converse with the children and get a feel for their character.

My oldest would not do well on a standardized test right now-He doesn't like to be timed.  Sometimes I'll do an on-line placement exam with him and he goes into "deer and the head lights" syndrome.  He goes completely blank.

But when we do the assessment, he enjoys it.  He gets show what he's done and talk about what books he has read or show pictures we've taken to document our work.  It's like a story book of his school year.  I like it; because, the evaluator can show me where our gaps are and give me helpful tips and information to implement for the next year or possibly work on over the summer.

So far, it's worked very well for us.

If you're new to homeschooling and would like more information on what your state requires visit HSLDA , click on my state under quick  "Quick Navigation", and click on your state for their homeschool laws.

If you've been homeschooling for a while or this is your first year-Wha did you opt to do? Does your state require testing? Or do you have other options?  Maybe you aren't required to do anything...feel free to share.

Hope you're enjoying the ride!
Brook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...