Sunday, July 1, 2012

Planning Our Next Homeschool Year...

With our Annual Homeschool Assessment done, I'm shifting gears in planning mode for next year.  Though officially I'm homeschooling 2, I will be focusing on my five year old as well.

These past couple years we have done our Bible Study and the 3 R's (Reading, Writing, Arithmetic) daily and all other subjects twice a week with a Ruth Beechick feel to applying BPA.  This has worked OK for us-but, I always feel rushed in our studies.  I'm never really satified with the amount or quality of projects we incorporate with our studies.

So, I'm thinking this year, I'd like to try to do a quarterly cycle on subjects like History/Geography, Science, Art & Music Appreciation.  My thinking is as an adult, I don't pursue a study on several interests all at once.  I focus on the necessities daily (Bible, Home Management, find Gluten free recipes). But, study other interests (photography, painting, quilting, etc.) one at a time, till I feel satisfied with what I have learned.  Then I move to another interest. I know standard education doesn't work this way. But, outside of the standard education-educating oneself does.

For me, it allows me time to focus, ruminate, and reflect on what I'm studying.  Couldn't it do the same for my children?  And possibly, make it more enjoyable?  And allow me more time to plan a project and feel like we've accomplished some quality learning?  I don't know.  It sounds good.

So, I think I'm going to try it.

Now, I have to come up with our Study Goals and draft up our Schedule.  Plus, I want to research more on Charlotte Mason to see if and how I can integrate that method into our studies.  Ambleside Online is a great online resource for learning Charlotte Mason. I'll keep you posted. 

What does your homeschooling schedule look like?  What's worked or not worked for you?  Feel free to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...