Saturday, July 28, 2012

First Day of New Learning Year...

Monday is officially our first day of our new learning year and I'm already making adjustments before we even begin.

This year we're putting more focus on our language arts since I feel we were a little weak.  I'm wanting to do more dictation and copywork. My biggest task is implementing it.

Here's the thing, my 85 year old grandfather has some how managed to rupture his hip muscle and is pretty much immobile right now and in need of 24/7 care till we can get him mobile again.  He's taking it pretty hard considering he's a very active, independent man for his age.  Not to mention, he's still dealing with a broken heart from losing my Grandmother last December. But because he's such an awsome "Papa", the kids and I for 3 days out of the week are helping care for him.  So, between caring for him and runnning after the 3 year old and 1 year old, I think there will be more copy work than dictation.  I'd still like to dictate once out of the week as a sort of test.  But it will have to be on the days we are home and my house work load is low. (Scratching brain right now.) Maybe, I can get the three year old and one year old to take a nap-their schedule has been so messed up that they don't know up from down right now.

Any-how, I think what I'll do is use the on-line worksheet makers and print copywork ahead of time using text from the McGuffey Readers and Scripture for the older two.  For my five year old, I'm going to use some free worksheets from Confessions of a Homeschooler (thanks Sheri) to help her with letter formation as well as use her composition book (just to get her use to it).  We'll read the text, then discuss the text/letter formation, then they'll do the copywork, and then review.

For our Math, we are going to review our math facts and previously learned concepts these next few weeks since we took two months off.  We'll be using Math Mammoth and supplementing with Ray's.  Though, I see us using Math Mammoth more than our Ray's considering our situation right now.

For our Bible Study, I have been reading a bible story right after breakfast and have the children read a Psalm and Proverbs to my grandfather-hoping it brightens his outlook a bit.

For History/Geography and Science, we'll read from our history based or science based literature. Then go over unknown vocabulary and do Notebook pages and a science project once or every two weeks. I'm trying something new with our History/Geography and Science we're going to alternate quarters-hoping this will elimate the rushed feeling I get when teaching these subjects due to we heavily depend on library books and always seem to have to return them before I'm ready.  I thing we'll do the same for our Art and Music Appreciation.

Piano lessons have been put on hold for the moment. So, I'll sub with a forgein language-Spanish preferably.

I actually had a schedule all done up-but now needs re-tweeked.  Maybe when I find some more time I'll post it.

Thanks for listening to my rambling and please pray for the healing of my grandfathe's hip. Thanks!

PS- There's a new tab above blog for Handwriting/Copywork gernerating.  Feel free to take a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...