Friday, December 7, 2012

The Homeschool Bus "Book Spotlight"...


This "Book Spotlight" is on the classic Bambi by Felix Salten (Note: My understanding this is not the original but the abridged version.  It appears to be very difficult to locate an original.)

If you are like me, when you think of Bambi you think of Disney's version of Bambi-the colorful whimsical movie we all grew up on and love.  And we can't forget the tearful moments where Bambi loses his mother and the forest fire that convicts all children that hunters are bad-which, I don't completely agree with, because I come from a long line of hunters and for them it was a matter of supplying for their family and survival.

The original Bambi was written intentionally as an adult novel, but it so colorfully written that it intrigues and delights the youngest of readers and listeners.  I was delightfully impressed with the abundance of vivid words and pictures they created-though I had to look some of the words up for clarification.  My children would beg for me to read more as they too were caught up in the imagery of wild life.

The differences between this version and Disney's version is:
An abundance of rich colorful words for description.  It almost reads like poetry.
  1. Not sugar coated-it is a literary observation of wild life.
  2. There is no Thumper or Flower (Bummer, I know).
  3. There is no forest fire. But still a very shocking, uncomfortable, sobering scene that needs adult discretion towards the end of the book.  It's difficult to have to relate such sobering events to children but when done carefully it adds to the value of the story.
Overall, I highly recommend this book as a read-a-loud for the family. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.  And if I'm ever fortunate to find and read a copy of the original I'll post my thoughts.

Enjoy the ride,
Brook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...